Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A love of language

Being in France has taught me more than I could ever fully explain. As the end of the beginning approaches, I find myself more drawn to language than ever. I speak, read and write French every day and the more I do, the more I love it. Yes, there are challenges...it is not my maternal language therefore I make countless mistakes and at times I have no idea what is going on but, I love it. Its a challenge and a passion. You have to love the language if you ever want to learn it! Even though I have my days where no matter how hard I try, I can't understand anything, it doesn't matter. I've found my passion and temporary problems don't matter in the long run. It is so fun when you realize you are mélang-ing (mixing) two languages at once. Every day I catch myself doing two things: 1. speaking English but using french words like everyone can understand what I am saying and 2. spelling English words the french way (like problem=problème). I don't mind any of it! Best part...waking up and remembering your dreams occurred in French. :)  

My love of french has made me appreciate my English. I can now see the beauty in it that I never really thought of. I've always loved writing but I never really thought much of the language itself because it has always been natural. Language, regardless of which one we use, allows the opportunity to express ourselves. Whether we are aware of it or not, it is an art. We don't have to practice and we don't have to try, but it is an evolving and ever-changing art. Take the opportunity to listen to yourself, really listen to the words you say. Listen to another language, even if you can't understand it. It is amazing what you can understand just by listening and watching. It's amazing and it brings me so much happiness!


No comments:

Post a Comment